Friday, December 12, 2008

Dread That Nappy [sic] Up, Throw a Shell In It



So... I have this Natural hair... and it's really thick right... so last night I took some locking gel, my fingers, and about 3.5 hours of my precious time and installed a head full of starter dreads. When I looked in the mirror I was thoroughly impressed, they're actually cute. BUT there is a potential dealbreaker: I miss my 'fro. It's not only taken a while for it to get to its present length but also for me to accept it. Granted, there are still people who assume that I'm militant or making some sort of political statement by wearing my hair in its natural state, but in all honesty I stopped perming my hair because after 20 years of chemicals, hair dye, pressing irons and constant combing it just couldn't take it anymore. I also felt that I was trying to hide something (namely my roots) everytime I rushed to the beauty supply to purchase a relaxer. I do have an appreciation for what God gave me, though, and I truly feel that this is how I am supposed to rock my hair... it's pretty dope. But back to the dreads. So far they're being held in positive regard by people I come in contact with. But ultimately it's my head and my image, so I just might listen to the still, small voice over time and see what I'm most comfortable with. It won't be a perm, though.

Yay for self love... PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment