Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Confessions of a Book Nerd

During the holiday season, I can't help but to feel the percolating excitement of everyone who anticipates giving and receiving the perfect gift. I am no exception. Some people are looking forward to clothes, or toys, or possibly a really nice piece of jewelry. What am I looking forward to?

Books. Lots and lots of books.

I'm mostly a novel reader, but I've just now gotten into the swing of reading critical and analytical works. I can say this unashamedly because I am no longer bothered by my nerdiness. I walked into my favorite bookstore yesterday and looked like a kid jacked on pixie sticks being released to expend herself at Toys ‘R’ Us. If anyone needs my wish list, aquĆ­ esta:

1. We Real Cool – bell hooks
2. Skin Deep, Spirit Strong: The Black Female Body in American Culture -- Kimberly Gisele Wallace-Sanders
3. Is Bill Cosby Right?: Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind? -- Michael Eric Dyson
4. Venus in the Dark: Blackness and Beauty in Popular Culture -- Janell Hobson
5. All The Rage – Aaron McGruder

Just for starters…PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment