Monday, February 9, 2009

It Was The Best of Times, It Was The Worst of Times...



I had several sporadic thoughts while watching the Grammys last night. For some people, the Grammy is an award given to musical artists who have received a certain pinnacle of success during a particular year. For me, the Grammys is more or less a ceremony where the popular are celebrated while the truly talented are acknowledged but not awarded. Granted, some of the truly deserving earned the coveted golden gramophone, but many of the winners last night honestly earned the award based on the fact that their ubiquitous images monopolized television and radio venues or because they were board favorites, others were winners regardless of the fact that their work was widely unknown by the masses. Anyhoo. Here we go (in no particular order):

"Big ups to Jennifer Hudson for performing."

"Why is Justin Timberlake singing the majority of the Motown tribute while Al Green diddy-bops across the stage and Boyz II Men holds it down as background singers?"

"Whitney Houston looks fabulous... is she high?"

"I enjoyed the Jay-Z and Coldplay piece. I really don’t mind Jay doing all of this music with rock/alternative bands."

"I’m glad that Sugarland won, they’re one of the very few country groups that I can listen to."

"Totally didn’t pay attention to Kid Rock’s performance."

"I really tried to listen to BFFs Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift and just couldn’t. They’re both adorable girls, I just don’t think that they’re talented."

"Why is Stevie sharing a stage with the Jonas Brothers. They officially sucked the soul out of 'Superstitious.'"

"Did Katy Perry’s performance set reinforce the homosexual derogatory term “fruity?” Ms.Perry, please have a seat."

"I wonder what else is on."

"Yay Estelle & Kanye... “American Boy” was one of my fave songs of ’08."

"Kinda sad Jazmine didn’t win, but at least the Brothers Jonas didn’t win… go Adele :)"

"M.I.A. is pregnant?! That is so not a maternity top… She’s my girl, but I’ma need her to be near a hospital on her due date!! Thank God the water didn’t break…that would have been tragic."

"Adele is a great singer."

"Lupe won nothing."

"The New Orleans tribute was great. Makes me wonder how the new administration is going to rectify this ongoing travesty."

"This is kinda boring."

"Did they just interrupt Stevie's performance to run credits and a Delta Airlines spot?!"

"Last year's Grammy's were better..."

If I had to assign a grade to the Grammy's, it would earn a solid C. Good enough to hold my attention, but questionable enough to make me consider boycotting it.

Music might not be dead, but it sure is on life support... PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment