Saturday, January 17, 2009

From The 22 To The 44

According to a recent CBS News/New York Times poll, George W. Bush's final approval rating stands at 22%, the lowest rating in the Gallup poll's 70 year history of measuring president approvals. The national deficit now stands at $455 Billion with the expectation to exceed $1 Trillion in light of the multiple bailouts that are intended to rescue our struggling economy. Bush's parting speeches were rooted in deep denial and subtle remorse. Barack Obama is poised to become officially inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States in a mere three days. If anyone can claim that he began his presidency with the country in a recession, it is Barack. Shortly after my euphoria from November 4th began to subside, I began to pity Barack for what he was about to inherit: two wars in the Middle East, an economy on life support, and widespread anti-American sentiment. I prayed for his strength, and I still do. I never expected him to be our country's savior, but I can only hope that God will not only use him to turn this country in a more positive direction, but also to demonstrate that there is such a thing as positive Black male leadership (I know it exists, but I need everyone else to know). Neither here nor there, I pray nothing but the best for the outgoing and the incoming... God help us all.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment